Politics

Where does Da Muhs stand politically? Well, in short I identify as libertarian. I think most people would identify as libertarian if they knew what it meant in the most basic definition. As a way of thinking, my basic definition of libertarianism is a live and let live attitude without imposing on others' personal space. When it comes to politics and role of government, it becomes a lot more complicated.

For a long time I never really got into political discussion and still rarely do. However my perspectives have changed over time. Early on as a young adult I thought myself to just be a conservative as a basic political viewpoint. I didn't really know what that was but I thought since growing up Muslim, I thought being a conservative or republican was a more moral ground to stand on. Still, I never really felt like I associated with the party or any group for that matter. I was still indifferent when it came to presidential elections, so I didn't favor John Kerry or George Bush or Romney or Obama. I just knew they were all phony.

Leading up to the 2008 presidential election I tried to take interest in it. I looked into third party candidates and compared them to the main parties to see if I identified with anyone. I came up on the Constitution Party and felt like I identified a little more with that group, or maybe even the Tea Party. I still didn't really invest myself into those parties but felt they were better than the main parties. Well, nothing struck me enough to care about voting in that election, so I was still politically apathetic.

It wasn't until the 2016 presidential election that I started to tune in politically. I started reading about libertarianism (I don't know exactly how I got started, but I must have heard the term or read it and maybe Wikipedia'd it or something). Everything I read made sense and I came across a libertarian candidate debate during primary season. It was only online and not televised obviously since little attention is given to third parties. I tuned into more debates and really started taking a liking to certain candidates, particularly Austin Petersen. His ideas were perfectly aligned with how I thought and he made so much sense compared to any other candidate I came across. I followed the libertarian race all the way to the election. I hated the choice to have Gary Johnson be the nominee over Austin Petersen. I feel like if Petersen got a little mainstream attention like Gary Johnson did, he would have represented the Libertarian Party much better and would have brought a lot of people to vote for the LP. I still voted for the first time in 2016 and it was for Johnson. But I didn't vote in 2020 because I didn't care for the LP candidate. I actually woulda voted for either Bernie Sanders or Tulsi Gabbard if they had the Democratic nomination. I can't stand Trump or Biden so this election didn't draw me in. Anyway, that's what got me into libertarianism.

I heard about Ron Paul before and knew I liked him but never thought much about his OG role in the libertarian movement. Not until I got into libertarianism from the 2016 election did I go on to listen to what he preaches. I still listen to his reports just about every day. There are a few more libertarians I enjoy listening to regularly today. Larry Sharpe ran for governor of New York as a third party candidate and he preaches common sense libertarian ideas. John Stossel is another guy I like to listen to.

So that's my basic journey into libertarianism. I'll write about my stance on things in other blogs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Job, Summer Break

Panhandling for a Funeral

I cut part of my finger tip off